A year ago I purchased a Fire HD 8 Kids Edition for my daughter. It’s a standard Fire HD 8, in a protective case, and with a year’s subscription to a service providing content specifically for children.
The tablet itself has a special login and layout for children, where they can access eBooks, apps and videos, all specially curated and aimed at them. As a parent, you can easily manage screen time and other restrictions to ensure your children are safe when using it.
However, after a year, my daughter was pretty bored of it. Slip the tablet out of the case, though, and it returns to being a standard Fire HD 8, so all is not lost. You can even set up standard adult accounts on it, too.
After a year, though, your initial Fire for Kids Unlimited subscription is due for a renewal, so to avoid additional fees, I needed to cancel this.
Fire for Kids Unlimited subscription costs
Here are the current subscription costs:
As you can see, you pay half the price if you’re already a Prime member. Nevertheless, £1.99 a month saved is nothing to be sniffed at.
How to cancel Fire for Kids Unlimited
Unfortunately, Amazon’s own instructions on how to cancel the subscription are incorrect – I suspect they’re simply out-of-date. Instead, I found what I thought was the solution, which was only confirmed to me today when I received an email from Amazon.
I’m not aware of there being a way to do it from Amazon’s website or via the company’s app, only from the tablet.
So, here’s what I did:
- Sign into your child’s account on the tablet (not your own account)
- Drag down from the top of the screen and click on the cog icon that appears
- You will now be asked to select an adult user and sign in
- You are then presented with the settings screen that you will have used to change your child’s access
- Scroll down to a section named “Fire for Kids Unlimited” and click on “Subscribe to Fire for Kids Unlimited” underneath it
- A list of all your registered children will appear. Untick any that you don’t want a subscription for and save
That’s it. If you’re using the initial free subscription, it will expire after your first year. If you’re using a bought subscription then it will cancel immediately and you’ll be refunded any remaining fees due to you.