Last Updated on
You see the Apple symbol bandied around quite a lot on social media, especially when the company is announcing a batch of shiny new devices. But how do you type an Apple symbol on your iPhone or iPad yourself?
It’s dead easy, when you know how.
Type an Apple symbol using a hardware keyboard
If you’ve got a hardware keyboard for your iPad, typing the Apple symbol is an absolute doddle.
Simply press the following key combination to make the symbol appear:
Option + Shift + K
Type an Apple symbol using the software keyboard
This is much trickier. You’d have thought Apple, being Apple, would have included the Apple symbol in its default keyboard symbols, but no.
Instead, you’ll have to set up a text replacement, so that the Apple symbol appears in the keyboard suggestions when you type a certain phrase. Here’s how to do it:
- Copy the Apple symbol that appears here:
(If you’re reading this on a Windows or Android device and can’t see the symbol, that’s because it doesn’t always appear on non-Apple devices, for reasons too long and boring to discuss here.)
- To copy the symbol, press and hold down on the symbol until the little magnified section appears above it, and then use the little blue handles to make sure you’ve only got the logo selected, then press Copy.
- With the symbol copied, you can of course then paste it into any document, email, tweet or whatever, but you don’t want to be doing that every time you want to use the symbol. Instead, let’s set up a text replacement, so that it’s always available to you.
- Open the iPhone/iPad Settings app.
- Select General.
- Now select Keyboard.
- Press Text Replacement.
- Press the + key in the top right corner.
- Paste the Apple symbol into Shortcut, by holding down in the blank field and selecting Paste.
- Now choose a phrase, such as “appsy”, that you will type every time you want the symbol to appear and press Save.
Now, whenever you type “appsy” into the software keyboard, you should see the Apple symbol appear in the keyboard suggestions.
Press on it to replace the word “appsy” with the Apple symbol.
NOW READ THIS: How do you type the Euro symbol on a UK keyboard?