If you’re a Fortnite player on the Xbox One or Xbox Series X/S, you might have hit this hugely annoying error message. It prevents you from playing the game entirely, as if you can’t sign into Xbox Live, you can’t play Fortnite. And even though you probably are signed into Xbox Live, the error message still persists. So how do you get past the “unexpected error occurred while signing in to your account for Xbox Live” message?
I’m going to give a hat tip to Limitless6989 on Reddit, who found a solution that worked for me.
As he notes, simply hard quitting the game or even restarting your console doesn’t seem to work. Instead, he suggested the following workaround:
- Load Fortnite until you reach the point where it says ‘press A to start’
- Press A to sign in and the error message should appear
- Don’t press anything now, just leave the error message on screen
- Now hold down the Home button on your controller (the big one in the top centre) and select restart console
- When the console has fully reloaded, you should be able to start Fortnite as normal and sign into Xbox Live
I’ve no idea how he discovered it, or why this particular chain of events should fix the issue when a regular restart doesn’t, but it definitely worked for me and I hope it does for you too!
Did we solve your problem?
Click the button below to…