You’ve watched something that you’re embarrassed about or you’re being bombarded with recommendations for In The Night Garden after you let your kids watch on your laptop. Either way, you’d like to clear your BBC iPlayer history.
Unlike, say, Netflix, your “watching” history on iPlayer only reflects programmes that you haven’t finished watching. Once you have, there appears to be no way of expunging this viewing from the algorithms that calculate the “Recommended for you” category.
You can only clear specific programmes using the website too – the apps force you to download all of your viewing history. And if you’re using any other device – a smart TV or Fire TV stick, for example – there is no option available to you at all.
So, let’s see what you can do…
How to remove individual items from your iPlayer history
- Head to the “My Programmes” page on the iPlayer website
- Beneath the details of each programme is a link named “Remove”
- Click on this link to delete the programme from your viewing history
How to remove all iPlayer watching history from the iOS app
- Click on the “Menu” link in the top left-hand corner of the app screen
- Click on the cog icon in the top right-hand corner
- Under “History & Privacy” there is an option named “My Programmes”
- Click the “Clear History” link to the right of it to remove all programmes from your viewing history
How to remove all iPlayer watching history from the Android app
This is the same process as iOS but under “History and Privacy” just click on the heading labelled “Clear History”
Now read this: Are VPNs legal?